Friday, March 6, 2009

Visiting Coloma

This was a busy week. Regular lodge was Tuesday; Scottish Rite practice Wednesday; and we visited Coloma Thursday.

I'm more comfortable as Junior Warden. First, I made a terrific (if I do say so myself) beef stew. I am struggling with deserts though. I think if I offered fresh fruit, I might be ... impeached. So I stuck to store-bought pie for now. It's still intimidating watching the Senior Warden work, knowing I'll be stumbling through those lines in a year, but at least is seems feasible.

Our Scottish Rite Valley is changing the way reunions are conducted. More degrees will be held in local lodges throughout the year, and fewer during the reunion. We're doing the 20th this month. I have a few lines, and I'm finding it easier to learn ritual as I do more of it. More importantly, there will be a festive board after the 20th. I missed the first practice (business), but I learned the words I have to say before the second practice on Wednesday night.

Six of us went to Coloma, including our new EA, Ron. The WM - Don Baugher -- was a fantastic host. Knowing that Ron was coming, his officers were prepared to open in the EA degree. There was a terrific dinner of corned beef and cabbage, and a presentation from the Food Bank. James from our lodge sat in as Senior Deacon, doing a bang-up job considering his prep time. I missed Survivor, but my wife and I will watch it together this weekend I hope.

We'll be back to Coloma -- those of us in the Scottish Rite -- to do the 20th degree on March 14th. Along with the 20th, our lodge will be passing Ron at the end of the month, and I'll need to learn my part in that degree.

I'm glad we're visiting other lodges and networking this year.

No comments: