Sunday, March 15, 2009

20th


We presented the 20th degree yesterday. I had a small part with lines dispersed throughout the ritual (Junior Deacon). I enjoyed this part, and since I introduced the major characters, there was no chance of having my line skipped over accidently.


This degree teaches us that treason is unforgiveable, but that fraternal bonds supercede all conflicts. I think it's unlikely that there are Masons among the current, active enemies of the US, but it wouldn't be hard to imagine Masons among former combatants in North Korea, Vietnam and Iraq, and I wonder if there are any stories of Masonic interest from more recent times. Would returning masonic paraphanalia to an active enemy be considered appropriate, or "giving aid and comfort"?

The festive board afterwards was great. Plenty of food, good fellowship, wine. I sat between two DDI's; I never did figure out who our DDI was (he wasn't at the festive board), and what a DDI actually did. I did hear their pet peeves, and I'd learned to avoid those mistakes already.

In May I'll be stepping up to a new part in the 31st -- Bishop -- where I'll have several speaking parts.

No comments: