Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Where's the Math?


I have a fairly strong math background, and there is a beauty in numbers that speak to the divine.

Leonardo Da Vinci described the "Golden Ratio", the perfect mathematical proportion for beauty. Prime numbers, the Fibonacci sequence, pi -- all these speak to something more than just numbers, that there is order to the Universe. Ironically named, Chaos Theory describes regular patterns in nature, that the pattern of a leaf reflects the pattern of the tree, that the shape of a pebble reflects the shape of a mountain.
http://www.geocities.com/cyd_conner/nature.html

In my Entered Apprentice lecture I learned that the square represented integrity, rightness. The compasses represent a tool to restrain our passions, to mark our moral boundaries. The simple gavel to perfect a rough ashlar. The 24" rule to apportion our time.

My fellowcraft tools are the plumb, square and level. These tools teach us to walk uprightly, square our actions with virtue, and walk on the level of time.

I was admonished to study Geometry, and at that moment, I thought "done!" because I received a degree in Computer Science 25 years ago, and because the software I work on is CAD, which helps you create and manipulate Geometric shapes.

I have forgotten much of what I studied; I know this helping kids with their math. But I retain the fundamentals, the relationships among circles, triangles and squares; and the way different shapes behave with each other always gives me a chill.

The tools thus far are those which are important to building geometric shapes, but nothing has been said about how to use them for that purpose.

Geometry is what the Operative Masons knew, and almost everyone else didn't. I don't know how learning this can be anything other than spiritual, and I don't know why there isn't more math in Freemasonry.

Maybe it's coming.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I could not agree more, I am a young mason (25) and as an engineer, I was attracted to masonry by the emphasis on logic, geometry and the obvious order of the universe.