Sunday, March 4, 2007

Fellowcraft






Last Tuesday, I became a Fellowcraft Mason.

This is the second degree of Masonry, and my third degree will be conferred on Saint Patrick's day. It feels rushed to me, so I'm trying to understand the lessons of this degree -- and the last one, Entered Apprentice -- as well as I can before plunging headlong into "Mastery".

My First Degree was conferred on January 9th. The experience was intense and memorable.

I retained a surprisingly large amount of the lecture I received that day. I found Macay's book online (The Masonic Manual), and saw the EA lecture there verbatim. I read, and reread that lecture several times, but I still had questions. I made some notes and asked at the lodge while studying for my examination.

What shocked me -- and still shocks me -- is how little I need to actually learn before moving on to the next degree. It's too easy, and I don't feel as if I "earned" my fellowcraft.

I did not retain my fellowcraft lessons as well. Part of this was recovering from a cold, and part of this was that the position I was in to take my obligation was painful to hold (I was struck by a car when I was a child, and while in most respects my legs are fine, there are some positions which become painful quickly). My throat was dry from the dregs of the cold, and I was covered in sweat by the time I was allowed more light. Much of the ritual, as much as I wanted to drink it in, washed over me instead. I was offered a chance to rest, and water, but I also knew that quite a bit of effort was involved from all the officers, and I did not want to cause them more inconvenience.

I allowed myself to read the fellowcraft chapter of the manual; I had many more questions about the two pillars and the orders of architecture. Part of my confusion was the orders of architecture are represented by columns which are easy to confuse with pillars.

One thing I had read before my fellowcraft was that the meaning of the "G" within the square and compass stood for God and would be more correct with the Hebrew letter Yod. So when I heard that it represented Geometry I wanted to argue.

That's the problem with reading too much, and I want to drink the knowledge as it's meant to be drunk. Unfortunately, the Internet is a vast ocean of information, and it's so tempting to try to drink it all.

Part of the advantage of symbolism and metaphor is to apply layers of meaning to symbols, that symbols are meant to communicate in a way that prose simply can't. I have to improve my intuition, and suppress my literal logical mind.

I can't comfortably write all my questions here, but some of my notes for next Tuesday are:
- the length of my cable tow
- G
- The relationship of the two pillars to the three columns
- Our lodge has a solid blue floor, what's all this about tiled/fringed floors?

Next week I take my examination for Fellowcraft in the full lodge. The February meeting was opened on the EA degree (I was the only EA present) and I took my examination then. The March meeting, unless an EA is present, will open on the FC degree (again drawing attention to my less-than-master status).

I think EA and FC degrees should last longer, and be less inconvenient to manage, and require more work to attain. Mostly, I can't wait to become a Master Mason so that I can feel fully part of the lodge. On the other hand, I want to savor my journey to Master Mason so I can grow into -- and earn -- that degree.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say that you are one of the more thoughtful candidates I've come across in my brief time as a Mason.

I was raised almost two years ago and like you spent a good deal of time trying to get my arms around the events that unfolded at each step up.

The good news is that you have many years to review and contemplate what these things mean. That "is" a good deal of the work a Mason does.

I also recommend getting involved with the chain and make it known you'd like to sit the chairs.

I am heading into the Senior Deacons place this coming year and am very excited to be a part of such a good group of people.

This coming Monday will also be my first presentation of the EA lecture to candidates. Learning this was very enlightening and I hope to articulate it so the candidates do as you have done ~ Truly seek more light in Masonary!

My best to you in your journey!

Fraternally,
Brian Tipsword
Ainsworth #201 Salem, Or
www.ainsworth201.com

Anonymous said...

As far as the pain you experienced, I think everyone has similar issues. If you watch someone else going thru the same degree you might notice they are having problems too.