Friday, March 23, 2007

Master Mason



Last Saturday (3-17) I was raised to Master Mason. It was an interesting event with about 25 of us from various lodges (I was the only one from our lodge who was raised). The ceremony was conducted by the Scottish Rite, and I don't know if that made any difference from a "normal" raising.

I was not the exemplar, so the ceremony was observed, not experienced. We sat in the Northeast, and most of the important work was done in the Southwest; I don't hear well, and frankly it was difficult to follow what happened after the candidate was moved to the west. I spent my time at the climax of the degree work straining to hear. Adding to my frustration, I saw microphones hanging from the ceiling, but they didn't pick up anything. The chaplain also had a low voice, and he refused to stand near a microphone: his prayers and his toasts were inaudible even to those with normal hearing.

I had seen a portion of the second section on the Discovery channel, but the important part -- towards the end -- was new to me. I looked it up in Duncan later, but at the time it was like "what's going on?" then everyone in my section was working with a mentor.

After the ceremony was complete -- really complete -- we had a final section with the Master Mason lectures.

This went fairly well, but no one can touch our lodge's Marshall for knowing the lectures back and forth. Although the lecturers stood directly in front of us, they again refused to cooperate with the sound equipment, and again, I strained to hear their words. Half way through the slide show the curtains closed over the screen, making the symbols we're supposed to learn completely unviewable. Thank goodness for Duncan and Mackey.

I do not want to take away from the Grand Rapids lodge and the Valley of Grand Rapids Scottish Rites one iota. The rite was performed superbly, and the production values (costumes, props, etc) were outstanding. The lodge building itself is huge, and we were welcomed warmly. The afternoon was well organized, well paced and all in all, a delight to take part in.

I received my apron, square, compasses and bible. The square has "one day grand master class" written on it, which doesn't make sense to me, but I'll ask about it later in lodge.

Afterwards was the festive board. There was some derogatory comments on the food, but I thought it was fine. I had one tall glass of wine to carry me through all the toasts, and my mentor was expecting me to drink far more (he had, at his raising). However, "true temperance is moderation", and I was moderate. I enjoyed the festive board immensely.

I wish I'd taken more time to socialize with the other candidates, but there wasn't much of an opportunity. One thing I was pleased to see was that several of the candidates were men of color -- and several officers from other lodges were as well. That our area in general does not redirect black men to Prince Hall, as I have heard other lodges do.

Afterwards, the three of us from our lodge went to a local restaurant and ate, drank some more, then went to the lodge to play some cribbage. Our WM was the director of the ceremony and didn't join us afterwards, but the JW and SD suggested I take an officer position, like Steward. I didn't commit at that point because 1) we have a steward; and 2) I may not be able to attend all the meetings due to work; but I'm thinking about it.

Next week I'll sign our lodge's book, get the card that goes with my apron, and hopefully my dues card. And I'll consider doing the Scottish Rites this May, although I don't know how I'll be able to afford it right now.

1 comment:

Creative Rockstar said...

I've been perusing your blog... Very nice 'capturing' of your experiences. I am an EA of Richland Hills Lodge here in Texas. I'm actually turning in my 2nd and 3rd sections of the EA Memory work tonight and will hopefully be Passed to Fellow Craft next week.