Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Senior Deacon


Last meeting we discussed who would fill what chair next year. Our Junior Deacon does not want to move up; his job is very demanding right now, and he has two small children. So I'll enter the officer chain as Senior Deacon. As a side note, we have a West who hasn't been in the officer chain in a few years, and our South will be moving to the sidelines, so next year looks to be a different make-up.

The Senior Deacon is the NCO of the lodge. All the other officers do a lot of talking, but when something needs to get done, guess who wades through the metaphoric mud? He sets the social tone for the lodge, and he also does a lot of kneeling, which at the moment is worrying me (I had my knee scoped last week).

Opening and closing the lodge is a piece of cake -- the floor work is familiar and unless we open in the EA degree, there isn't much to say.

The real work is during the degrees. He's got his own lecture; no one is closer or more important to a candidate during rituals. During my degree work, I was astounded at the level of effort put forth by our current SD.

I have to work on my memorization, but I keep forgetting.

3 comments:

Traveling Man said...

From one Senior Deacon to Another: welcome to the club.

I'm sure you'll fill the role admirably, and the memory work does just seem to "click" after a bit.

Check out the post "Masonic Sergeants" on my blog - Movable Jewel.

Be well,

Traveling Man

FD2L said...

Congrats my brother!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!