Monday, November 12, 2007

All Degree Day

I don't like the idea of watching a degree instead of going through the degree as an active candidate. I've done both and nothing -- nothing -- can replace the feeling of intimacy and bonding that I felt when I was brought into my lodge. First, the entire lodge goes to a lot of work, "just for me". Second, it's done in your home lodge, with members from your home lodge. Finally, direct experience is more powerful than vicarious experience.

Doric Lodge, Grand Rapids lodge and the Valley of Grand Rapids Scottish Rite held an all-degree day Saturday. I was the mentor for a Master Mason candidate, James. James' brother Donald drove over from Chicago, and he looked great in his tux, white gloves and PM apron. Three officers from our lodge attended: our WM (who was also the director of the MM degree) our SW and our marshal (who was also the marshal of the MM degree). None of the other officers made the hour drive.

Verne, our current SW, and Donald discussed the differences between F&AM rituals and Prince Hall rituals (Donald is from Prince Hall). I listened when I could, but I ended up becoming very busy. During the second degree, I mentored a candidate whose mentor did not show up.

The Scottish Rite and GR lodges who performed these degrees did a wonderful job. The middle chamber lecture was done in a very interesting way, with 6 or 7 people trading off, and with physical props instead of slides. Ironically, the one prop they didn't have -- a staircase -- is one which my small lodge has.

When I was raised, I had trouble hearing and seeing things during the degree (not quite as much trouble as the exemplar...). This time, during each degree, I could see and hear everything.

I had never seen the first two degrees from the sidelines; I have only seen them from the candidate's perspective. When you see all three degrees performed one after the other, you see how they build on each other, evolving to and culminating with the Master Mason degree. And I can see how performing a degree will give you even more insight into it. Whatever you think of all degree days, watching the degrees this way is a wonderful experience.

I made sure James understood the things he needed to learn during his raising.

For myself, I watched the SD during each degree closely. The SD is so important to a candidate during the degree that he can make -- or break -- a candidate's experience. No pressure or anything.

Afterwards there was a festive board, and as always, it was a wonderful time. Decent food, decent wine, outstanding fellowship. Donald was quite proud of his brother and promised to visit our lodge as soon as he could.

As I drove home, I realized how strongly I feel bound to the craft, and especially the brothers I have come to know this year. It's surprising knowing how different I am from many of these men when it comes to business, politics and religion, yet we truly share a common bond that transcends these things.

Happy to meet, sorry to part...


(A note on Prince Hall visitation: visitation between Prince Hall and FA&M in Michigan is allowed: the master of the host lodge must extend a written invitation to the visitor).

2 comments:

Radcliffe said...

The ritual surely is the tie that binds my Brother. I'm ambivalent about 1 day degrees too. Intimacy is important I agree, and that is the word. So I take it Prince Hall and G.W. of Michigan mutually recognize?

Royce Myers said...

http://web.mit.edu/dryfoo/www/Masonry/One-Day/index.html

There's an interesting discussion about the one-day classes here.

One of the problems I see is that we aren't taking the time to actually make Master Masons. It's not the candidates as much as it is that there are so few active members in smaller lodges like mine. And with a small amount of people, performing a MM ceremony is overwhelming.

Prince Hall: The GL of MI has recognized Prince Hall; Prince Hall has conditionally recognized us. PH requires a letter from the master of the lodge inviting a PH mason to sit in lodge with us. I'm not sure what requirement there is for our sitting in a PH lodge, although I know it's possible.