Monday, May 7, 2007

I "can't" do it the hard way?

The ritual books I have don't include the information I need to take my Master's proficiency the long way. I wrote to the Grand Lodge for help in acquiring the materials. I received the following answer:
"Doing the proficiency in the "long way" is no longer an option. "

That doesn't mean we can't do it, if my brothers can dig up an old copy of it. It just means that it doesn't "count".

You will get a nice card if you memorize your obligation, though.

I'm not someone who rocks the boat for the sake of getting sea-sick, and I am new to Masonry; however, next year there will be a proposal to allow earning proficiency the long way -- as an option.

4 comments:

Widow's Son said...

What is "the long way" vs. what's normal? More questions and answers, or more to the ritual?

Widow's Son
BurningTaper.com

Royce Myers said...

What's "normal", in Michigan, starts with a physical part of the ceremony, skipping about 423 pages of questions.

The long way starts with some Q&A you'd hear from the West during the opening of a lodge.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting.

I recently had to remind Brothers to first inform the Master when requiring candidates to learn additional work (Apron Lecture, Constitution Questions, etc...) above and beyond the catechism to prove proficiency.

I just cannot fathom a Jurisdiction that asks the least amount of effort of its candidates.

J.

Anonymous said...

In California, we have the full form proficiency for all three degrees. This consists of questions and answers relating to the degree in question, the obligation, and the modes of recognition.

Optionally, candidates may give a "Short form" proficiency for the first and second degree which only consists of the obligation and modes of recognition.

It is optional to the candidate on which he chooses. However, the third degree proficiency is a full form only, there is no short form.